Pattern matching operators a index - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Soroosh Sardari
Subject Pattern matching operators a index
Date
Re: Pattern matching operators a index  (Kevin Grittner <kgrittn@ymail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Hi

I'm developing a new type for character string, like varchar. I wrote operators for btree and so forth.
I wonder how pattern matching operators using btree index, because btree operator class ony knows about >, >=, <=, and = operators, but operators for pattern matching, such as LIKE, are not known for btree access method.

Now my question is:
Is Postgre using btree for pattern matching query for varchar or other character string types?

If it does, how i implement it for my new type?

Regards,
Soroosh