Re: Insert zero to auto increment serial column - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jayadevan M
Subject Re: Insert zero to auto increment serial column
Date
List pgsql-general

On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 5:47 PM, loc <c320sky@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm currently using an Informix Innovator-C database with Aubit4GL and I would like to migrate to PostgreSQL, it looks like the transition will not be too difficult, however there is one feature that I would like added to PostgreSQL.  Where is the best place to request a feature add?  With Informix inserting a 0 into a serial column will auto increment the serial value, MySQL also works this way.  With PostgreSQL I will need to do a lot of code modification to my Aubit4GL programs, since I will need to either insert with the key word default or omit the serial column in the insert statement.  A typical insert with Aubit4GL looks like this:

create table table_name (link serial, col2 integer, col3 integer ....)
define var_rec record like table_name.*
let table_name.link = 0
insert into table_name values(var_rec.*)

As you can see, with Informix the serial column is set to 0 before the insert, with PostgreSQL I will need to list all the columns and will not be able to use the wildcard syntax, which supplies all the column names to the insert.  Setting the serial column to null to auto increment would also work for me.