Re: logging statements in PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jayadevan M
Subject Re: logging statements in PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-general
Thanks for the pointer. I do not really want to log the plans of queries, just the queries, execution time and a couple of other details (database,user). If I use the auto-explain module, it will end up printing the plan for all query execution in the log files?

On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 1:43 PM, Amit Langote <amitlangote09@gmail.com> wrote:
On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 12:18 PM, Jayadevan M
<maymala.jayadevan@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I am planning to use pgbadger for analyzing queries. Documentation for
> pgbadger says "Do not enable log_statement as their log format will not be
> parsed by pgBadger. "
> I have
> log_min_duration_statement = 0
> I do see quite a few SELECTs, INSERTS etc in the log files, function calls
> too, for example.
>  select sp_pg_refresh_alert_data(current_date);
>  But the SELECT and INSERT in the function are not getting logged. Is that
> how PostgreSQL logging works, or I have missed something?

Have a look at auto_explain module which has configuration parameter:

"auto_explain.log_nested_statements (boolean)"
auto_explain.log_nested_statements causes nested statements
(statements executed inside a function) to be considered for logging.
When it is off, only top-level query plans are logged.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/auto-explain.html

--
Amit Langote