Re: BUG #17698: On SIGTERM, psql terminates, but leaves the statement running - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Dmitry Astapov
Subject Re: BUG #17698: On SIGTERM, psql terminates, but leaves the statement running
Date
List pgsql-bugs

On Mon, Jan 16, 2023 at 3:21 PM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> wrote:
On 2022-Nov-25, PG Bug reporting form wrote:

> Perhaps psql could have a SIGTERM handler that does roughly what
> SIGINT handler does before terminating the whole process, and would
> cancel the current statement (if any)?

Sure.  I doubt we want to wait until a reply to the cancel request is
obtained, but we could have the sigterm handler at least send it before
terminating.

Why do you send SIGTERM to psql anyway?

The way the story was told to me by the user, they started psql from inside the neovim session and then cancelled it with Ctrl-C. Apparently, neovim (unlike, say, vim) sends SIGTERM to the child process in this case (whereas vim will send SIGINT).

--
D. Astapov