Re: table inheritance partition and indexes - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ted Toth
Subject Re: table inheritance partition and indexes
Date
List pgsql-general
Docs can always be better, right ;) When I went back and looked at the page I did realize that the ATTACH INDEX command was only mentioned in the description of declarative partitioning and not in the inheritance section so I should have paid closer attention to the location.

Ted

On Wed, Nov 23, 2022 at 8:13 PM David Rowley <dgrowleyml@gmail.com> wrote:
On Thu, 24 Nov 2022 at 11:34, Ted Toth <txtoth@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 23, 2022 at 4:01 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Then you're stuck managing it manually.  But ATTACH PARTITION is
>> not relevant to INHERITS-style partitioning.
>
> That's the part that wasn't clear to me, thanks.

Would this have been more clear if [1] didn't mention both declarative
partitioning and inheritance partition on the same page? I've wondered
before if we should split that into two separate pages.

David

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/ddl-partitioning.html#DDL-PARTITIONING-USING-INHERITANCE