Re: Logical replication timeout problem - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Ajin Cherian
Subject Re: Logical replication timeout problem
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Feb 8, 2022 at 1:59 PM wangw.fnst@fujitsu.com
<wangw.fnst@fujitsu.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 26, 2022 at 11:37 AM I wrote:
> > On Sat, Jan 22, 2022 at 7:12 PM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Now, one idea to solve this problem could be that whenever we skip
> > > sending any change we do try to update the plugin progress via
> > > OutputPluginUpdateProgress(for walsender, it will invoke
> > > WalSndUpdateProgress), and there it tries to process replies and send
> > > keep_alive if necessary as we do when we send some data via
> > > OutputPluginWrite(for walsender, it will invoke WalSndWriteData). I
> > > don't know whether it is a good idea to invoke such a mechanism for
> > > every change we skip to send or we should do it after we skip sending
> > > some threshold of continuous changes. I think later would be
> > > preferred. Also, we might want to introduce a new parameter
> > > send_keep_alive to this API so that there is flexibility to invoke
> > > this mechanism as we don't need to invoke it while we are actually
> > > sending data and before that, we just update the progress via this
> > > API.
> > Based on above, I think the second idea that sending some threshold of
> > continuous changes might be better, I will do some research about this
> > approach.
> Based on the second idea, I wrote a new patch(see attachment).

Hi Wang,

Some comments:
 I see you only track skipped Inserts/Updates and Deletes. What about
DDL operations that are skipped, what about truncate.
What about changes made to unpublished tables? I wonder if you could
create a test script that only did DDL operations
and truncates, would this timeout happen?

regards,
Ajin Cherian
Fujitsu Australia