Re: pgadmin4 7.6 on RHEL 8.8 receives "Internal Server Error" - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Khushboo Vashi
Subject Re: pgadmin4 7.6 on RHEL 8.8 receives "Internal Server Error"
Date
List pgadmin-support
Hi,

On Wed, Sep 6, 2023 at 11:01 PM Daxu Yin <daxuyin@yahoo.com> wrote:
Hi Yogesh,

Thanks a lot for promptly following this up.

I kind of "fix" or bypassed the problem by examining the /var/log/httpd/error_log,

1. The error log suggested something wrong with the libpq package. The RHEL 8 instance has libpq5, but not libpq. So I installed:
sudo yum install -y libpq
sudo yum install -y libpq-devel  # not 100% sure we need this one

pgAdmin (psycopg package) requires libpq5 only. It may happen that old libpq was already there on your system and psycopg used that one.
At this point, somehow I feel I need to reinstall the pgadmin4, 'cause pgadmin4 perhaps would be "aware" of the new libpq, so I removed pgadmin4 and reinstalled it:
sudo yum remove pgadmin4
sudo yum install pgadmin4-web
sudo /usr/pgadmin4/bin/setup-web.sh

2. Restarted the server, the error log complained something wrong with psycopg python library. I have python 3.6 and python 3.11 on the node already, and later pgadmin4 brought in python 3.9. I did the followings:

cd /usr/pgadmin4/venv/bin
source activate #make sure I am in the python 3.9 environment
pip install "psycopg[binary,pool]"
deactivate
Basically, pgAdmin uses the "psycopg[c]" package, which links the system's libpq. The "psycopg[binary]" package installs all the dependent libraries itself.

3. Restarted the server, the error log now suggested lack of privileges to access psycopg, I did the followings

cd /usr/pgadmin4/venv/lib/python3.9/site-packages
chmod -R 755 *

Finally, restart the httpd, everything seems working now.

Please let me know if this could be the right solution, or any alternative ones.

This solution is fine for this release but when you upgrade pgAdmin 4, you will face this issue again.
Next time, please share the logs with us, so we can find a better solution.

Thanks,
Khushboo
Many thanks.

Daxu Yin