Re: [pgAdmin4][Patch]: RM #3077 - ERROR: invalid byte sequence forencoding "LATIN1":0x00 - Mailing list pgadmin-hackers

From Khushboo Vashi
Subject Re: [pgAdmin4][Patch]: RM #3077 - ERROR: invalid byte sequence forencoding "LATIN1":0x00
Date
List pgadmin-hackers

On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 5:32 PM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:

On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 4:11 AM, Khushboo Vashi <khushboo.vashi@enterprisedb.com> wrote:

On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 10:51 PM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:

On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 3:45 PM, Joao De Almeida Pereira <jdealmeidapereira@pivotal.io> wrote:
Hi
The patch looks good, do we have any example error that we can test in order to ensure the problem no longer shows up in the future?
If they could be Unit Tests instead of Feature tests that would be awesome, because Feature tests are much more expensive then Unit.

I think we need to consider a couple of options here:

1) Make sure that many/all of our tests use non-ASCII names.

+1
2) Consider adding a mechanism to allow running the regression tests with overridden GUC values. For example, a parameter in the test config file that gives a set of GUCs to change upon connection.

The downside of 2 of course, is that it adds a huge amount of possible environment combinations to test.

We should implement this as it would be very helpful in reducing the testing efforts.
But as you said there will be large set of combinations, so first we need to come up with the possible combinations which we would like to include first.

Well, we could just update the framework to include a list of GUCs and values in the JSON config, then we can test in different configs as needed.

Sure. I will create one ticket for the same.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company