Re: [NOVICE] Regression test : pg_conversion validation - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From neha khatri
Subject Re: [NOVICE] Regression test : pg_conversion validation
Date
List pgsql-novice

On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 2:16 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
neha khatri <nehakhatri5@gmail.com> writes:
> On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 11:57 PM, Carol Walter <carol.walter@sbcglobal.net>
>  wrote:
>> I'm not sure why this would be a problem. Postgres isn't going to run on
>> the EBCDIC machine so the data will just have to be run through a code
>> inverter going back an forth.
>> There are many of them available for this kind of application.

> It is not a problem as such. Just that this kind of conversion in Postgres
> might simplify the data transfer.

It just doesn't come up often enough to justify our investing the work to
create and maintain such a facility within Postgres.  I just did a quick
search of the PG list archives, and cannot find another request for this
feature within the last ten years.  (In the same interval I find just one
request to support EBCDIC as a native encoding, which is even less likely
to happen.)  So basically there's no interest in this problem among our
user community, and we have lots of higher-priority things to do.

The readily available code inverter could be one reason for almost NIL demand
for this conversion. Probably when in need, the users are making use of code
inverter.

Now I understand Postgres' ASCII affinity and reason for not supporting Non-ASCII
encoding.

Thanks,
Neha