can't connect to server - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Eric Hulburd
Subject can't connect to server
Date
List pgsql-novice
I have just started using Django with Postgres 9.0.

Actually, the first time I set up my database with Django it worked fine.  However, I just created a second Django project with a new database and connection to Postgres (everything has been single user databases on the localhost).  After creating my first tables, when I try to get into the Postgres shell from the command line I receive the message:

'Could not connect to server: Connection refused
is the server running on "localhost" and accepting TCP/IP connections on Port 5432?'

I've looked through a number of articles on how to address this problem.  However, I'm obviously not understanding some very basic information.

1.  If I want to run 'postmaster' from the command line, what does my directory need to be?  Where does the executable file reside within ...Postresql/9.0?  Every directory I've given the command to tells me it is not an internal or external command.

2.  Where does my database data reside?  I have no good idea where data goes when I create a database or what kind of files I should be looking for.

3.  I never changed anything in my postgres.conf or pg_hba.conf files?  Is there anything I should look for in those files that might prevent the server from running or accepting any connections?

Thanks much,
Eric