Re: quieting DEBUG3 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Christopher Browne
Subject Re: quieting DEBUG3
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 27 October 2015 at 20:51, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> Craig Ringer <craig@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
> > I think it'd be helpful to define some level of policy about what the
> > debug levels are intended for, so there's some guidance on what level
> > to emit messages on rather than playing "pick a number".
>
> +1 ... I doubt anyone has ever looked at that in a holistic way.
>
>                         regards, tom lane

A few years ago, I went through Slony's logging with a view to this very thing.

It was pretty fruitful in changing log levels for a lot of things, and actually
led to more things being logged 'always', as I noticed useful places to do
CONFIG level logging in the process.

But we were able to get things to the point where INFO logging provided
enough output most of the time.

Looking through the Postgres code base to this end seems likely to be
pretty useful, and I agree, it would need to be done holisticly.