Re: [PoC] load balancing in libpq - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Christopher Browne
Subject Re: [PoC] load balancing in libpq
Date
List pgsql-hackers
implementingand reimplementing this, I think *something* more than we have ought to be built in.<p dir="ltr">This, with
perhapsbetter implementation, might be an apropos start.<p dir="ltr">Parallel with LDAP: it takes very much this
approach,where configuration typically offers a list of LDAP servers.  I am not certain if OpenLDAP does round robin on
thelist, or if it tries targets in order, stopping when it succeeds.  A decent debate fits in, there.<p dir="ltr">I
couldsee this being implemented instead via something alongside PGSERVICE; that already offers a well-defined way to
capturea "registry" of connection configuration.  Specifying a list of service names would allow the command line
configurationto remain short and yet very flexible.<div class="gmail_quote">On 2012-09-23 10:01 AM, "Euler Taveira"
<<ahref="mailto:euler@timbira.com">euler@timbira.com</a>> wrote:<br type="attribution" /><blockquote
class="gmail_quote"style="margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"> On 23-09-2012 07:50, Satoshi
Nagayasuwrote:<br /> > I have just written the first PoC code to enable load balancing<br /> > in the libpq
characterfor any option in the connection string and (ii) you<br /> didn't think about PQsetdb[Login](),
PQconnectdbParams()and<br /> PQconnectStartParams(). If you want to pursue this idea, you should think a<br /> way to
supportsame option multiple times (one idea is host1, host2, etc).<br /><br /> Isn't it easier to add support on your
href="http://www.timbira.com.br/"target="_blank">http://www.timbira.com.br/</a><br />    PostgreSQL: Consultoria,
href="mailto:pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org">pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org</a>)<br/> To make changes to your