Re: Exposing the lock manager's WaitForLockers() to SQL - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Marco Slot
Subject Re: Exposing the lock manager's WaitForLockers() to SQL
Date
Re: Exposing the lock manager's WaitForLockers() to SQL
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Dec 23, 2022 at 11:43 AM Will Mortensen <will@extrahop.com> wrote:
> We'd like to be able to call the lock manager's WaitForLockers() and
> WaitForLockersMultiple() from SQL. Below I describe our use case, but
> basically I'm wondering if this:
>
>     1. Seems like a reasonable thing to do
>
>     2. Would be of interest upstream
>
>     3. Should be done with a new pg_foo() function (taking an
>        oid?), or a whole new SQL command, or something else

Definitely +1 on adding a function/syntax to wait for lockers without
actually taking a lock. The get sequence value + lock-and-release
approach is still the only reliable scheme I've found for reliably and
efficiently processing new inserts in PostgreSQL. I'm wondering
whether it could be an option of the LOCK command. (LOCK WAIT ONLY?)

Marco