Re: The tragedy of SQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Browder
Subject Re: The tragedy of SQL
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, Sep 17, 2021 at 06:49 Raymond Brinzer <ray.brinzer@gmail.com> wrote:
On Tue, Sep 14, 2021 at 9:06 AM Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I've long thought that there is more algebraic type syntax sitting
> > underneath SQL yearning to get out.
> Now, if this sort of thing suits the way you think, I say, "Great!"
> I'm glad you have a language which suits you.  For me, it's too rigid;
> it assumes too much about what I might want to say.  I wouldn't
> program in a language like this, or use a shell like this.  I don't
> want to write database queries like this.  I do, because it's how I
> get to talk to the awesome toy in the background, but it always
> chafes.

This thread strikes home because I've long used my favorite language,
Raku (and Perl before that) as a powerful glue language to generate
code in several languages I was forced to use and maintain during my
working years including FORTRAN, C, C++, PostScript, and SQL. I still
generate a lot of PostScript, but Raku has made it *much* easier.

Most recently I've used Raku modules for both ORM and procedural
interfaces to PostgreSQL, but with Raku's powerful grammar capability
a dedicated user can write his own language interface if he wishes.
In addition, Raku has a native C and C++ interface to ease using
PostgreSQL compiled code when necessary.

Best regards,

-Tom

P.S. See <https://raku.org> as a starting place for Raku.