Re: repeated characters in SQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From rashapoo@gmail.com
Subject Re: repeated characters in SQL
Date
List pgsql-general
Thanks David...so it's looking at each character, storing it in /1, then comparing the "next" character with what is in /1.
I guess the escape character (which is not needed in, say, Notepad++) threw me a bit.

On Sun, Jan 24, 2016 at 2:32 AM, David Rowley <david.rowley@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
On 24 January 2016 at 12:44, Govind Chettiar <rashapoo@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a simple table consisting of a bunch of English words.  I am trying
> to find words that have repeated characters in them, for example
> apple
> tattoo
>
> but not
>
> orange
> lemon
>
> I know that only a maximum of one repetition can occur
>
> I tried various options like
> SELECT word FROM  public."SpellItWords"
>  WHERE word ~ E'(.)\1{2,}'
>
> SELECT word FROM  public."SpellItWords"
>  WHERE word ~ E'([a-z])\1{2}'
>
> What finally worked was this
> SELECT word FROM  public."SpellItWords"
>  WHERE word ~ E'(.)\\1'
>
> But I don't really understand what this does...Can you explain?

The ~ operator is a regular expression matching operator, and the
(.)\1 is a regular expression. More details here
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/functions-matching.html

The regular expression . matches a single character, since that . is
wrapped in () the regex engine captures the match and stores it in a
variable, this is called a capture group. Since this is the first such
capture group in the regular expression, then the value matching the .
gets stored in the variable \1, so your regex basically says; "match a
single character which has the same single character to its immediate
right hand side". The extra \ is just an escape character.

--
 David Rowley                   http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/