Re: SELECT with LIKE clause makes full table scan - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dominique Devienne
Subject Re: SELECT with LIKE clause makes full table scan
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Jan 26, 2022 at 1:13 PM Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123@gmail.com> wrote:
> > [...]
> > create INDEX d01ort on d01buch(d01ort)  ;/*  D01ORT    */
>
> That index can't be used with a LIKE that has a trailing wildcard.

Really? That seems to contradict the doc, i.e. default index type is B-Tree,
which definitely supports trailing wildcard LIKE-predicates, as
explicitly stated in said doc:
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/14/indexes-types.html#INDEXES-TYPES-BTREE

So what makes you say that? --DD

PS: That also contradicts the small demo I made earlier up-thread:
```
ddevienne=> \d+ pg_class
    "pg_class_oid_index" UNIQUE, btree (oid)
    "pg_class_relname_nsp_index" UNIQUE, btree (relname, relnamespace) <<<<<<<<<
    "pg_class_tblspc_relfilenode_index" btree (reltablespace, relfilenode)
```
Whether the index is UNIQUE or not does not matter in this case.