Re: do only critical work during single-user vacuum? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From John Naylor
Subject Re: do only critical work during single-user vacuum?
Date
Re: do only critical work during single-user vacuum?  (Noah Misch <noah@leadboat.com>)
Re: do only critical work during single-user vacuum?  (Peter Geoghegan <pg@bowt.ie>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Feb 16, 2022 at 6:17 AM Peter Geoghegan <pg@bowt.ie> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 15, 2022 at 9:28 AM Peter Geoghegan <pg@bowt.ie> wrote:

> > I did notice from my own testing of the failsafe (by artificially
> > inducing wraparound failure using an XID burning C function) that
> > autovacuum seemed to totally correct the problem, even when the system
> > had already crossed xidStopLimit - it came back on its own. I wasn't
> > completely sure of how robust this effect was, though.

I'll put some effort in finding any way that it might not be robust.
After that, changing the message and docs is trivial.

> It seemed worth noting this in comments above
> should_attempt_truncation(). Pushed a commit to do that just now.

Thanks for that.

--
John Naylor
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com