Re: warning: comparison of integer expressions of different signedness related to simd.h - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From John Naylor
Subject Re: warning: comparison of integer expressions of different signedness related to simd.h
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Sep 3, 2022 at 12:57 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> John Naylor <john.naylor@enterprisedb.com> writes:
> > On Sat, Sep 3, 2022 at 12:30 PM Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> /usr/local/pgsql/master/include/server/port/simd.h: In function ‘vector8_has’:
> >> /usr/local/pgsql/master/include/server/port/simd.h:168:27: warning: comparison of integer expressions of different
signedness:‘int’ and ‘long unsigned int’ [-Wsign-compare]
> >> 168 |         for (int i = 0; i < sizeof(Vector8); i++)
>
> > "int" should probably be "Size" -- does that remove the warning?
>
> Agreed, should be Size or size_t, or else cast the sizeof() result.
> But I wonder why none of the buildfarm is showing such a warning.

If I add -Wsign-compare to CPPFLAGS, I get dozens of warnings all over
the place. It's probably unreasonable for extensions to expect to
compile cleanly with warnings that the core server doesn't use, but
this header is clearly wrong and easy to remedy, so I've pushed a
patch.

--
John Naylor
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com