Re: [PoC] Improve dead tuple storage for lazy vacuum - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From John Naylor
Subject Re: [PoC] Improve dead tuple storage for lazy vacuum
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jul 19, 2022 at 9:11 AM Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> wrote:

> I’d like to keep the first version simple. We can improve it and add
> more optimizations later. Using radix tree for vacuum TID storage
> would still be a big win comparing to using a flat array, even without
> all these optimizations. In terms of single-value leaves method, I'm
> also concerned about an extra pointer traversal and extra memory
> allocation. It's most flexible but multi-value leaves method is also
> flexible enough for many use cases. Using the single-value method
> seems to be too much as the first step for me.
>
> Overall, using 64-bit keys and 64-bit values would be a reasonable
> choice for me as the first step . It can cover wider use cases
> including vacuum TID use cases. And possibly it can cover use cases by
> combining a hash table or using tree of tree, for example.

These two aspects would also bring it closer to Andres' prototype, which 1) makes review easier and 2) easier to preserve optimization work already done, so +1 from me.

--
John Naylor
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com