Re: A qsort template - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From John Naylor
Subject Re: A qsort template
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Apr 14, 2022 at 1:46 PM David Rowley <dgrowleyml@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Apr 2022 at 23:19, John Naylor <john.naylor@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> > More broadly than the regression, Thomas' is very often the fastest of
> > all, at the cost of more binary size. David's is occasionally slower
> > than v15 or v15 with revert, but much of that is a slight difference
> > and some is probably noise.

To add to my summary of results - the v15 code, with and without extra
patches, seems slightly worse on B-tree index creation for very low
cardinality keys, but that's not an index that's going to be useful
(and therefore common) so that's a good tradeoff in my view. The
regression David found is more concerning.

> Just to get an opinion from some other hardware, I've run your test
> script on my AMD 3990x machine.

Thanks for that. I only see 4 non-Btree measurements in your results
that are larger than v15-revert, versus 8 in mine (Comet Lake). And
overall, most of those seem within the noise level.

> My opinion here is that the best thing we can learn from both of our
> results is, do the patches fix the regression?

I'd say the answer is yes for both.

> I don't believe it should be about if adding the additional
> specializations performs better than skipping the tie break function
> call.  I think it's pretty obvious that the specializations will be
> faster.  I think if it was decided that v16 would be the version where
> more work should be done to decide on what should be specialized and
> what shouldn't be, then we shouldn't let this regression force our
> hand to make that choice now. It'll be pretty hard to remove any
> specializations once they've been in a released version of Postgres.

I agree that a narrow fix is preferable. I'll take a closer look at
your patch soon.

--
John Naylor
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com