Re: do only critical work during single-user vacuum? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From John Naylor
Subject Re: do only critical work during single-user vacuum?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Feb 3, 2022 at 7:30 PM Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:

> That error comes from GetNewTransactionId(), so that function must
> either try to execute DML or do something else which causes an XID to
> be assigned. I think a plain SELECT should work just fine.

It was indeed doing writes, so that much is not a surprise anymore.

On Thu, Feb 3, 2022 at 9:08 PM Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 3, 2022 at 8:35 PM Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
> > Yea, I'd have no problem leaving the "hard" limit somewhere closer to 1
> > million (although 100k should be just as well), but introduce a softer "only
> > vacuum/drop/truncate" limit a good bit before that.
>
> +1.

Since there seems to be agreement on this, I can attempt a stab at it,
but it'll be another week before I can do so.

--
John Naylor
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com