Re: outdated references to replication timeout - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From John Naylor
Subject Re: outdated references to replication timeout
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 1:55 AM Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 11:28:55PM +0900, Fujii Masao wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 10:51 PM John Naylor <john.naylor@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> >> It is strange, now that I think about it. My thinking was that the
> >> former wording of "replication timeout" was a less literal
> >> reference to the replication_timeout parameter, so I did the same
> >> for wal_sender_timeout. A quick look shows we are not consistent
> >> in the documentation as far as walsender vs. WAL sender. For the
> >> purpose of the patch I agree it should be consistent within a
> >> single message. Maybe the parameter should be spelled exactly as
> >> is, with underscores?
> >
> > I'm ok with that. But there seems no other timeout messages using
> > the parameter name.
>
> Could it be that nothing needs to change here because this refers to
> timeouts with the replication protocol?  The current state of things
> on HEAD does not sound completely incorrect to me either.

It was off enough to cause brief confusion during a customer emergency. To show a bit more context around one of the proposed corrections:

 timeout = TimestampTzPlusMilliseconds(last_reply_timestamp,
 wal_sender_timeout);

if (wal_sender_timeout > 0 && last_processing >= timeout)
{
/*
* Since typically expiration of replication timeout means
* communication problem, we don't send the error message to the
* standby.
*/
ereport(COMMERROR,
(errmsg("terminating walsender process due to replication timeout")));

My reading is, this is a case where the message didn't keep up with the change in parameter name.

--
John Naylor
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com