Re: outdated references to replication timeout - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From John Naylor
Subject Re: outdated references to replication timeout
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jan 12, 2021 at 9:37 PM Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the patch! I think this change makes sense.
>
> -                               (errmsg("terminating walsender process
> due to replication timeout")));
> +                               (errmsg("terminating walsender process
> due to WAL sender timeout")));
>
> Isn't it a bit strange to include different expressions "walsender" and
> "WAL sender" for the same thing in one message?

It is strange, now that I think about it. My thinking was that the former wording of "replication timeout" was a less literal reference to the replication_timeout parameter, so I did the same for wal_sender_timeout. A quick look shows we are not consistent in the documentation as far as walsender vs. WAL sender. For the purpose of the patch I agree it should be consistent within a single message. Maybe the parameter should be spelled exactly as is, with underscores? I'll take a broader look and send an updated patch.

--
John Naylor
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com