\COPY in script - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Binand Sethumadhavan
Subject \COPY in script
Date
List pgsql-novice
I am trying to do a summary query in one DB, and populate a table in another.

This is how I'm doing it:

psql -h db1 -d d1 -U u1 -A -F, -t -f a.sql | psql -h db2 -d d2 -U u2 [...]

Now, this ellipsis is what is causing consternation.

1. If the ellipsis is -c "$( < b.sql )" my target table gets populated.
2. If the ellipsis is -f b.sql my target table does not get populated.

My b.sql is as follows:

\COPY table_name FROM STDIN CSV

That's it. Why does (1) work but (2) does not? To the purist in me,
(2) is the preferred syntax so what should I do to ensure that it
works?

TIA,

Binand