[GENERAL] questions about 2nd index on one column - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ravi Kapoor
Subject [GENERAL] questions about 2nd index on one column
Date
Re: [GENERAL] questions about 2nd index on one column
List pgsql-general

I have a bit strange question. I am trying to figure out how to avoid table locking while creating an index through Django (1.5.1) in Postgres 9.4.7

Django 1.5.1 does not support concurrent indexing. So my thought is to first create a concurrent index using SQL prompt.
Then try to update django model to add index, which will effectively create 2 indexes on same column.

So my questions are:

If I create a 2nd index on one column,
1. Does postgres scan entire table to create index from scratch or does it simply copy the first index?
2. Does postgres lock the table to create this index?

thanks