The order of postgresql.conf parameters is potentially confusing. Very minor cosmetic bug or "niggle"! - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Pól Ua Laoínecháin
Subject The order of postgresql.conf parameters is potentially confusing. Very minor cosmetic bug or "niggle"!
Date
Responses Re: The order of postgresql.conf parameters is potentially confusing. Very minor cosmetic bug or "niggle"!  ("David G. Johnston" <david.g.johnston@gmail.com>)
Re: The order of postgresql.conf parameters is potentially confusing. Very minor cosmetic bug or "niggle"!  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-bugs
OS: Linux (Fedora 34)
PostgreSQL from: source code
Versions affected: 12.7, 13,2 & 14 Beta3

Hi,

I used pgtune to configure my system and received the following
recommendations: (most have been snipped for brevity):

min_wal_size = 1GB
max_wal_size = 4GB
max_worker_processes = 2
max_parallel_workers_per_gather = 1
max_parallel_workers = 2
max_parallel_maintenance_workers = 1

Now, I was going through my postgresql.conf file in accordance with
the recommendations and was changing the min_wal_size and max_wal_size
parameters.

However, in the .conf, the max_wal_size comes *_before_* the
min_wal_size and I nearly inverted my changes - i.e. setting the min
recommendation to the max one and vice versa.

Hardly a major issue, but in my opinion, it is *_totally_* illogical
to have the max_wal_size on the line above the min_wal_size. I propose
that this should be changed!

Also, with the max....workers... parameters

The untouched .conf file is as follows:

#max_worker_processes = 8               # (change requires restart)
#max_parallel_maintenance_workers = 2   # taken from max_parallel_workers
#max_parallel_workers_per_gather = 2    # taken from max_parallel_workers
#parallel_leader_participation = on
#max_parallel_workers = 8               # maximum number of
max_worker_processes that
                                        # can be used in parallel operations

Now, max_worker_processes = 8 is fine, BUT, both the

max_parallel_maintenance_workers

and the

max_parallel_workers_per_gather

parameters depend on the max_parallel_workers parameter.

Surely then, the max_parallel_workers parameter should appear before
the two others which depend on it?

I realise that these are not show-stoppers but at least in the case of
the max_wal_ and min_wal_ size parameters, the inversion is a source
of cognitive dissonance which a simple swapping of their respective
positions would solve.

Should you require any further information, please don't hesitate to contact mej

Best regards,

Pól Ua Laoínecháin...