[GENERAL] Preventing psql from attempting to access ~/.pgpass file. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Allan Kamau
Subject [GENERAL] Preventing psql from attempting to access ~/.pgpass file.
Date
Re: [GENERAL] Preventing psql from attempting to access ~/.pgpass file.  (Murtuza Zabuawala <murtuza.zabuawala@enterprisedb.com>)
List pgsql-general
Hi,

I am executing many "COPY" commands via psql serially from a bash script from a compute node that accesses a mounted home directory located on a remote server.
After about a thousand or so executions of the "COPY" command I get the error "psql: could not get home directory to locate password file".
for each subsequent attempt to connect to PostgreSQL using psql so as to issue the next "COPY" command.

I have configured pg_hba.conf to trust connections coming from the specific network which contains both the PostgreSQL server and the node which I am executing the psql commands from.

Is there a way to instruct psql not to try reading ~/.pgpass file?

Both server and client (psql) are PostgreSQL 10.0 built from source, the OS environment is Linux Centos 7.3.1611 (Core).

Allan.