Re: Feature request (or at least discussion): enable autovaccum ontemp tables - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ivan Voras
Subject Re: Feature request (or at least discussion): enable autovaccum ontemp tables
Date
Re: Feature request (or at least discussion): enable autovaccum ontemp tables
List pgsql-general
Hi,
On Fri, 31 May 2019 at 17:43, Andrew Gierth <andrew@tao11.riddles.org.uk> wrote:
> [...]

 Ivan> Since AFAIK temp tables are very close to unlogged ordinary
 Ivan> tables, what would stop this feature from being implemented?

The key difference between temp tables and other tables is that temp
table data does not use the shared_buffers but is buffered only in
backend-local memory.

This means that other processes (like, say, an autovacuum process) can
not access the content of temp tables. So what you want is not possible.

Understood.

So, a related question, since we have dozens of temp tables and a lot of code, is there a way to look up what temp tables are being created by the current session, so I can do a VACUUM or ANALYZE on all of them in bulk? I know I can inspect pg_temp_* schema, but how to figure out which one is from the current session?