Re: Re: could not create lock file postmaster.pid: No such file or directory, but file does exist - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alban Hertroys
Subject Re: Re: could not create lock file postmaster.pid: No such file or directory, but file does exist
Date
List pgsql-general
On 17 February 2014 14:42, Rob Goethals / SNP <Rob.Goethals@snp.nl> wrote:
> 2014-02-15 00:49:04 CET  LOG:  WAL writer process (PID 1127) was terminated by signal 6: Aborted

Signal 6 is usually caused by hardware issues.

Then again, you also say:

>I mounted a directory on a NTFS network-disk (because of the available size and considering the
> amount of OSM-data is pretty big). This is where I put all my database data, so also the pg_xlog.

That will cause problems as well. SMBFS does not support all the
necessary file flags, locks and such that the database needs to
operate on those files in a safe way. That's probably worse than
running with sciss... ehr... fsync=off

Alban Hertroys.