Re: Postgresql Data directory Issue - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alban Hertroys
Subject Re: Postgresql Data directory Issue
Date
List pgsql-general
On 6 October 2011 12:18, Adarsh Sharma <adarsh.sharma@orkash.com> wrote:
> We can upgrade to new version if our previous version is running.

But isn't upgrading exactly what you're trying to do? And why do you
think you need to have the old database running to be able to upgrade?
According to the link I sent you, you don't.

> But In my Case I have only /opt/postgresql-8.3/data directory ( 110 Gb).

And PG 8.4 software, right? So you are in the middle of upgrading.

> My server Crashes down and Postgres is not running.
> I copied postgresql data directory to a new server and installed
> Postgresql8.3  but still it is not using the previous directory.

Check the logs to see why it isn't using that directory. Is it a
different directory than where your settings expect it? You can also
use the -D switch for pg_ctl and start PG manually like that.