Re: Surprising behaviour of \set AUTOCOMMIT ON - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Venkata Balaji N
Subject Re: Surprising behaviour of \set AUTOCOMMIT ON
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Aug 11, 2016 at 2:58 PM, Venkata Balaji N <nag1010@gmail.com> wrote:

On Tue, Aug 9, 2016 at 1:02 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
On Mon, Aug 8, 2016 at 10:10 AM, Rahila Syed <rahilasyed90@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you for inputs everyone.
>
> The opinions on this thread can be classified into following
> 1. Commit
This makes more sense as the user who is doing it would realise that the transaction has been left open.

Alternatively, I also think it would be sensible to issue an immediate
COMMIT when the autocommit setting is changed from off to on.  That
was my first reaction.

Issuing commit would indicate that, open transactions will be committed which is not a good idea in my opinion. If the user is issuing AUTOCOMMIT = ON, then it means all the transactions initiated after issuing this must be committed, whereas it is committing the previously pending transactions as well.

My apologies for confusing statement, correction - i meant, by setting autocommit=on, committing all the previously open transactions ( transactions opened when autocommit=off) may not be a good idea. What user meant by autocommit=on is that all the subsequent transactions must be committed.

Regards,
Venkata B N

Fujitsu Australia