Re: PK Index - Removal - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Venkata Balaji N
Subject Re: PK Index - Removal
Date
List pgsql-general

On Thu, Aug 11, 2016 at 1:30 PM, Patrick B <patrickbakerbr@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi guys,

I got the following index:

CREATE INDEX "ix_mo_pk" ON "mo" USING "btree" ((("id")::"text"))

The "ID" is my primary key:
"mo_pkey" PRIMARY KEY, "btree" ("id")

 The ix_mo_pk index is not being used... But as it has the "ID" on it, I wanted to ask before dropping it.

Can you guys explain me if the ix_mo_pk is safe to delete and why?

The mo_pkey index is being used.

Yes, you can drop the unused Indexes provided they are not the ones created by primary key or unique key constraints. By your explanation, it seems that the index "ix_mo_pk" is an user defined index (created by you), so, it can be dropped if not used.

Regards,
Venkata B N

Fujitsu Australia