Re: PostgreSQL CHARACTER VARYING vs CHARACTER VARYING (Length) - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Ashutosh Bapat
Subject Re: PostgreSQL CHARACTER VARYING vs CHARACTER VARYING (Length)
Date
List pgsql-admin
On Tue, Apr 28, 2020 at 2:53 PM Rajin Raj <rajin.raj@opsveda.com> wrote:

> Is there any impact of using the character varying without providing the length while creating tables?
> I have created two tables and inserted 1M records. But I don't see any difference in pg_class. (size, relpage)
>
> create table test_1(name varchar);
> create table test_2(name varchar(50));

I don't think there's a difference in the way these two are stored
on-disk. But if you know that your strings will be at most 50
characters long, better set that limit so that server takes
appropriate action (i.e. truncates the strings to 50).

--
Best Wishes,
Ashutosh Bapat