Re: apply_scanjoin_target_to_paths and partitionwise join - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Ashutosh Bapat
Subject Re: apply_scanjoin_target_to_paths and partitionwise join
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On Tue, May 28, 2024 at 7:13 AM <arne.roland@malkut.net> wrote:
1. I think the order by pk frac limit plans had just to similar
performance behaviour for me to bother.
But afaics the main point of your proposal is not related to frac plans
at all.

Right.

2. We can't expect the optimizers to simply yield better results by
being given more options to be wrong. (Let me give a simple example:
This patch makes our lack of cross table cross column statistics worse.
We give it more opportunity to pick something horrible.

I don't see the connection between cross column statistics and this bug I am fixing. Can  you please elaborate?

3. I dislike, that this patch makes much harder to debug, why no
partitionwise join is chosen.
Can you please elaborate more? How does my change make debugging harder?

--
Best Wishes,
Ashutosh Bapat