Re: Setting up HA postgresql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From William Dunn
Subject Re: Setting up HA postgresql
Date
List pgsql-general
Implementing failover logic is quite simple, and probably even preferred over a pre-built solution because you can implement it in the way that integrates well with your architecture.

The basic logic is as follows:
  • On the standby server you would configure the "trigger" file. When you create a trigger file with the name you specify the standby will promote to master.
  • You have your queries send to the master.
  • If your application starts failing to connect to the master you would have logic evaluate why
  • When the master goes down you should
    • Generate a trigger file to promote the standby to master
    • Modify your DNS entries to have your applications point to the new master

Will J. Dunn