Re: printf %s with NULL pointer (was Re: BUG #17098: Assert failed on composing an error message when adding a type to an extension being dropped) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Ranier Vilela
Subject Re: printf %s with NULL pointer (was Re: BUG #17098: Assert failed on composing an error message when adding a type to an extension being dropped)
Date
In response to Re: printf %s with NULL pointer (was Re: BUG #17098: Assert failed on composing an error message when adding a type to an extension being dropped)  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
Em ter., 13 de jul. de 2021 às 15:26, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> escreveu:
Ranier Vilela <ranier.vf@gmail.com> writes:
> Em ter., 13 de jul. de 2021 às 11:29, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> escreveu:
>> I think you're missing my main point, which is that it seems certain that
>> there are corner cases that do this *now*.  I'm proposing that we redefine
>> this as not being a crash case, full stop.

> I agree with Laurenz Albe, that on Debug builds, *printf with NULL, must
> crash.

Did you see my followup?
I am trying.

  The vast majority of live systems do not do
that, so we are accomplishing nothing of value by insisting it's a
crash-worthy bug.
I agreed.

I flat out don't agree that "crash on debug builds but it's okay on
production" is a useful way to define this.  I spend way too much
time already on bug reports that only manifest with asserts enabled.
I understand.
Bug reports will decrease, because of that, people will lose interest and motivation to report,
because (null), it doesn't seem like a serious error and my server didn't crash.

It's a tricky tradeoff.

regards,
Ranier Vilela