Re: corruption of WAL page header is never reported - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Ranier Vilela
Subject Re: corruption of WAL page header is never reported
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Em seg., 19 de jul. de 2021 às 06:15, Yugo NAGATA <nagata@sraoss.co.jp> escreveu:
On Mon, 19 Jul 2021 17:47:07 +0900 (JST)
Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota.ntt@gmail.com> wrote:

> At Mon, 19 Jul 2021 16:00:39 +0900, Yugo NAGATA <nagata@sraoss.co.jp> wrote in
> > Your patch doesn't fix the issue that the error message is never reported in
> > standby mode. When a WAL page header is broken, the standby would silently repeat
> > retrying forever.
>
> Ok, I see your point and agree to that.
>
> > I think we have to let users know the corruption of WAL page header even in
> > standby mode, not? A corruption of WAL record header is always reported,
> > by the way. (See that XLogReadRecord is calling ValidXLogRecordHeader.)
>
> Howeer, I'm still on the opinion that we don't need to check that
> while in standby mode.
>
> How about the attached?

On Mon, 19 Jul 2021 17:50:16 +0900 (JST)
Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota.ntt@gmail.com> wrote:

> me> Howeer, I'm still on the opinion that we don't need to check that
> me> while in standby mode.
>
> Of course it's typo of  "while not in standby mode".

Thanks for updating the patch. I agree with you.

I think it is nice to fix to perform the check only during standby mode
because it make a bit clearer why we check it immediately in XLogPageRead.
And as I had reviewed, your first patch was wrong and now with the Kyotaro version,
to keep the same behavior, it is necessary to reset the error, correct?

regards,
Ranier Vilela