Re: Avoid possible dereference null pointer (src/backend/catalog/pg_depend.c) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Ranier Vilela
Subject Re: Avoid possible dereference null pointer (src/backend/catalog/pg_depend.c)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi Micheal,

Em qua., 22 de mai. de 2024 às 21:21, Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> escreveu:
On Wed, May 22, 2024 at 03:28:48PM -0300, Ranier Vilela wrote:
> 1. Another concern is the function *get_partition_ancestors*,
> which may return NIL, which may affect *llast_oid*, which does not handle
> NIL entries.

Hm?  We already know in the code path that the relation we are dealing
with when calling get_partition_ancestors() *is* a partition thanks to
the check on relispartition, no?  In this case, calling
get_partition_ancestors() is valid and there should be a top-most
parent in any case all the time.  So I don't get the point of checking
get_partition_ancestors() for NIL-ness just for the sake of assuming
that it would be possible.
I don't have strong feelings about this.
But analyzing the function, *pg_partition_root* (src/backend/utils/adt/partitionfuncs.c),
we see that checking whether it is a partition is done by
check_rel_can_be_partition.
And it doesn't trust get_partition_ancestors, checking
if the return is NIL.

> 2. Is checking *relispartition* enough?
> There a function *check_rel_can_be_partition*
> (src/backend/utils/adt/partitionfuncs.c),
> which performs a much more robust check, would it be worth using it?
>
> With the v2 attached, 1 is handled, but, in this case,
> will it be the most correct?

Saying that, your point about the result of SearchSysCacheAttName not
checked if it is a valid tuple is right.  We paint errors in these
cases even if they should not happen as that's useful when it comes to
debugging, at least.
Thanks.

best regards,
Ranier Vilela