Re: Removing "long int"-related limit on hash table sizes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Ranier Vilela
Subject Re: Removing "long int"-related limit on hash table sizes
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Em dom., 25 de jul. de 2021 às 15:53, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> escreveu:
Ranier Vilela <ranier.vf@gmail.com> writes:
> I think int64 is in most cases the counterpart of *long* on Windows.

I'm not particularly on board with s/long/int64/g as a universal
solution.
Sure, not a universal solution, I mean a start point.
When I look for a type that is signed and size 8 bytes in Windows, I only see int64.

I think that most of these usages are concerned with
memory sizes and would be better off as "size_t".
Ok, but let's not forget that size_t is unsigned.

  We might need
int64 in places where we're concerned with sums of memory usage
across processes, or where the value needs to be allowed to be
negative.  So it'll take case-by-case analysis to do it right.
Sure.

BTW, one aspect of this that I'm unsure how to tackle is the
common usage of "L" constants; in particular, "work_mem * 1024L"
is a really common idiom that we'll need to get rid of.  Not sure
that grep will be a useful aid for finding those.
I can see 30 matches in the head tree. (grep -d "1024L" *.c)

File backend\access\gin\ginfast.c:
        if (metadata->nPendingPages * GIN_PAGE_FREESIZE > cleanupSize * 1024L)
                         (accum.allocatedMemory >= workMemory * 1024L)))
Is it a good point to start?

or one more simple?
(src/backend/access/hash/hash.c) has one *long*.

regards,
Ranier Vilela