Re: Q: Comparing PostgreSQL and Oracle - Mailing list pgsql-general

From pabloa98
Subject Re: Q: Comparing PostgreSQL and Oracle
Date
List pgsql-general

On Wed, May 20, 2020 at 12:34 AM Alfonso <achavesco@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi colleagues.

I'm working in a Java application with some colleagues and we are in
doubt wether to use Oracle or PostgreSQL as the data store. It will be a
OLTP mainly application.

Beside of license terms/costs  which is a clear point in favor of
PostgreSQL, could you please help me to get some more details regarding
what you can do in PostgreSQL and you can't in Oracle oand viceversa,
and what can be done using both but it is better done by PostgreSQL vs
Oracle and so on?

I mean, about functionalities, performance, support costs if any and
qualtity, etc.

Many thanks.

Best Regards.

Perhaps it is better to do the inverse: Think about what do you need to do. DB Size (in hundred of Gb). How heavy will be the use of the database. Concurrent users. The peak number of users. How many batch operations. Size of those batch operations. etc

And based on that compare what functionality Oracle and Postgres offer to you.

Pablo