Migration struggles - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Christian Lehmann
Subject Migration struggles
Date
Re: Migration struggles  (Vijaykumar Jain <vijaykumarjain.github@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-admin
Hi all
i am currently building a ansible-managed pg13-cluster. Ansible not
only configures postgres pgbouncer etc but also creates roles and
manages pg_hba.

Now I am planning and documenting the upcoming migration. Do you have
a good idea, how i could proceed without a lot of sed'ing or similar
hacky things?

- if i use pg_dumpall, i have the "create role"-statements which will fail
- if i use pg_dump i have to backup all db's one by one
- pg_dumpall -a only gives me the data, -s is only the schema. This
might be the most promising approach, backing up schema, then data and
importing it on the new server. But still it would be more convenient
to just run one command.

Any other ideas I have not found out yet? And any other comments what
could possibly go wrong?

thanks a lot
chris

--