Re: master slave failover - secondary slaves - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Steven Livingstone
Subject Re: master slave failover - secondary slaves
Date
List pgsql-general
Thanks Andreas - that looks ideal.
Steven Livingstone <steven(at)livz(dot)org> wrote:

> Hi all, I am relatively new to Postgres but after some some work master/slave
> replication and failover working.
>
> I can use a trigger file to promote my first slave to a new master but where I
> am confused (from reading various docs) is quite how the second, third and so
> on slaves know there is a new master and point to it for replication etc.
>
> One place says it should be automatic (I don't find that) and another suggests
> you need to reconfigure each slave to point to the new Master (and I guess
> restart each).
>
> Can anyone clear this up?

Yeah, you have to change the recovery.conf to point to the new master.
Read more here:

http://michael.otacoo.com/postgresql-2/postgres-9-3-feature-highlight-timeline-switch-of-slave-node-without-archives/

Andreas

On Thu, Jan 14, 2016 at 9:25 AM, Steven Livingstone <steven@livz.org> wrote:
Hi all, I am relatively new to Postgres but after some some work master/slave replication and failover working.

I can use a trigger file to promote my first slave to a new master but where I am confused (from reading various docs) is quite how the second, third and so on slaves know there is a new master and point to it for replication etc.

One place says it should be automatic (I don't find that) and another suggests you need to reconfigure each slave to point to the new Master (and I guess restart each).

Can anyone clear this up?

Many Thanks,
steven