Re: Anyone want to update our Windows timezone map? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas Munro
Subject Re: Anyone want to update our Windows timezone map?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 7:19 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> src/timezone/README saith
>
>   When there has been a new release of Windows (probably including Service
>   Packs), the list of matching timezones need to be updated. Run the
>   script in src/tools/win32tzlist.pl on a Windows machine running this new
>   release and apply any new timezones that it detects. Never remove any
>   mappings in case they are removed in Windows, since we still need to
>   match properly on the old version.
>
> We have certainly not been doing that on a regular basis (as best I can
> tell, no such changes have been made since 2010).  Does anybody who uses
> Windows want to deal with it?  Or at least do it once so that our Windows
> TZ info is less than 5 years out of date?

By the way, I noticed that Unicode CLDR publishes this data set which
seems to be the same sort of thing:

http://www.unicode.org/cldr/charts/29/supplemental/zone_tzid.html

Could that be a better source than dumping stuff from arbitrary
Windows versions?

--
Thomas Munro
http://www.enterprisedb.com