Re: [HACKERS] Replication status in logical replication - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas Munro
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Replication status in logical replication
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 3:45 PM, Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 10:36 AM, Vaishnavi Prabakaran
> <vaishnaviprabakaran@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 13, 2017 at 9:59 AM, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> wrote:
>>> I’m not entirely sure why this was flagged as "Waiting for Author” by the
>>> automatic run, the patch applies for me and builds so resetting back to
>>> “Needs
>>> review”.
>>>

>> This patch applies and build cleanly and I did a testing with one publisher
>> and one subscriber, and confirm that the replication state after restarting
>> the server now is "streaming" and not "Catchup".
>>
>> And, I don't find any issues with code and patch to me is ready for
>> committer, marked the same in cf entry.

Hi Sawada-san,

My patch-testing robot doesn't like this patch[1].  I just tried it on
my laptop to double-check and get some more details, and saw the same
failures:

(1) "make check" under src/test/recovery fails like this:

t/006_logical_decoding.pl ............ 2/16 # Looks like your test
exited with 29 just after 4.
t/006_logical_decoding.pl ............ Dubious, test returned 29
(wstat 7424, 0x1d00)
Failed 12/16 subtests

regress_log_006_logical_decoding says:

ok 4 - got same expected output from pg_recvlogical decoding session
pg_recvlogical timed out at
/opt/local/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.24/IPC/Run.pm line 2918.waiting for endpos 0/1609B60 with stdout '', stderr '' at
/Users/munro/projects/postgres/src/test/recovery/../../../src/test/perl/PostgresNode.pm
line 1700.
### Stopping node "master" using mode immediate
# Running: pg_ctl -D
/Users/munro/projects/postgres/src/test/recovery/tmp_check/t_006_logical_decoding_master_data/pgdata
-m immediate stop
waiting for server to shut down.... done
server stopped
# No postmaster PID for node "master"
# Looks like your test exited with 29 just after 4.

(2) "make check" under src/test/subscription says:

t/001_rep_changes.pl .. ok
t/002_types.pl ........ #
# Looks like your test exited with 60 before it could output anything.
t/002_types.pl ........ Dubious, test returned 60 (wstat 15360, 0x3c00)
Failed 3/3 subtests
t/003_constraints.pl ..

Each of those tooks several minutes, and I stopped it there.  It may
be going to say some more things but is taking a very long time
(presumably timing out, but the 001 took ages and then succeeded...
hmm).  In fact I had to run this on my laptop to see that because on
Travis CI the whole test job just gets killed after 10 minutes of
non-output and the above output was never logged because of the way
concurrent test jobs' output is buffered.

I didn't try to figure out what is going wrong.

[1] https://travis-ci.org/postgresql-cfbot/postgresql/builds/301586561

--
Thomas Munro
http://www.enterprisedb.com