Re: BUG #15512: Creating index on 119 M files table generates error[could not determine size of temporary file "0"] - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Thomas Munro
Subject Re: BUG #15512: Creating index on 119 M files table generates error[could not determine size of temporary file "0"]
Date
In response to BUG #15512: Creating index on 119 M files table generates error[could not determine size of temporary file "0"]  (PG Bug reporting form <noreply@postgresql.org>)
List pgsql-bugs
On Tue, Nov 20, 2018 at 12:06 AM PG Bug reporting form
<noreply@postgresql.org> wrote:
> Bug reference:      15512
> Logged by:          Joan Sánchez Sabé
> Email address:      joan@sanchezsabe.com
> PostgreSQL version: 11.1
> Operating system:   Windows 10
>
> This sequence of SQL statements will produce an error "could not determine
> size of temporary file "0"". It is reproducible, and happens on PostgreSQL
> 11.0 and 11.1 systems.

Hello Joan,

Thanks for the report.  This was reported also here:

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/15460-b6db80de822fa0ad%40postgresql.org
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CAHDGBJP_GsESbTt4P3FZA8kMUKuYxjg57XHF7NRBoKnR%3DCAR-g%40mail.gmail.com

It is fixed in REL_11_STABLE and master, scheduled for release in 11.2
(though I am still waiting for confirmation from someone who can
actually test the fix on Windows).

In the meantime you can work around the problem with:

SET max_parallel_maintenance_workers = 0

--
Thomas Munro
http://www.enterprisedb.com