Re: [PROPOSAL] Covering + unique indexes. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas Munro
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Covering + unique indexes.
Date
Re: [PROPOSAL] Covering + unique indexes.  (Jim Nasby <Jim.Nasby@BlueTreble.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 6:08 AM, Teodor Sigaev <teodor@sigaev.ru> wrote:
CREATE INDEX index ON table (c1, c2, c3) UNIQUE ON (c1, c3);

CREATE [UNIQUE {ON FIRST {COLUMN | n_unique_column COLUMNS}} INDEX ON
table_name (column_name1, column_name2 ...);

I would use the first (simple) syntax and just throw an error if the
user tries to skip a column on the UNIQUE clause.
Seems, second option looks as more natural extension of CREATE UNIQUE INDEX

Have you by chance looked to see what other databases have done for
syntax? I'm guessing this isn't covered by ANSI but maybe there's
already an industry consensus.

MS SQL and DB/2 suggests (with changes for postgresql):
CREATE UNIQUE INDEX i ON t (a,b) INCLUDE (c)

MS SQL supports both unique and non-unique indexes, DB/2 only unique indexes. Oracle/MySQL doesn't support covering indexes. Readed at http://use-the-index-luke.com/sql/clustering/index-only-scan-covering-index

It surprised me that you can INCLUDE extra columns on non-UNIQUE indexes, since you could just add them as regular indexed columns for the same effect.  It looks like when you do that in SQL Server, the extra columns are only stored on btree leaf pages and so can't be used for searching or ordering.  I don't know how useful that is or if we would ever want it... but I just wanted to note that difference, and that the proposed UNIQUE ON FIRST n COLUMNS syntax and catalog change can't express that.

http://sqlperformance.com/2014/07/sql-indexes/new-index-columns-key-vs-include