Re: Error handling (or lack of it) in RemovePgTempFilesInDir - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas Munro
Subject Re: Error handling (or lack of it) in RemovePgTempFilesInDir
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Dec 5, 2017 at 4:44 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Anyway, I'm inclined to reverse that choice and emit LOG messages
> reporting failure of any of the lstat, rmdir, or unlink calls in
> RemovePgTempFilesInDir.  In the worst case, say that there are a
> bunch of leftover temp files in a directory that someone has made
> unwritable, this might cause a fair amount of whining in the postmaster
> log --- but that's a situation that needs to be fixed anyway, so
> I cannot see how not printing anything is a good idea.

Belatedly, +1.  The error hiding seemed a bit odd considering that we
were prepared to log "unexpected file found ...".  I probably should
have questioned that instead of extending it monkey-see-monkey-do.

--
Thomas Munro
http://www.enterprisedb.com