Re: A few warnings on Windows - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas Munro
Subject Re: A few warnings on Windows
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, May 4, 2018 at 2:46 AM, Peter Eisentraut

>>> typedef _W64 int ssize_t;
>>> , in a "not for 64-bit" block.
>>> <https://github.com/python/cpython/blob/v3.6.3/PC/pyconfig.h>, 3.6.3 is
>>> the installed version on whelk.
>>
>> Thanks.  Not a lot we're going to be able to do about silencing that
>> one, I'm afraid.  Too bad they haven't wrapped that stanza in
>> "#ifndef HAVE_SSIZE_T".
>
> There is still time to send a patch for Python 3.7.

Maybe we could poke this?  https://bugs.python.org/issue11717

Apparently ssize_t is not defined on Windows (it's from POSIX, not C)
and various projects step on each other's toes defining it.  On 64 bit
systems we both use __int64.  On 32 bit systems, we chose long and
they chose int.  If we changed our definition to use int too, I assume
that would fix the warnings here but might risk creating the opposite
problem somewhere else...

--
Thomas Munro
http://www.enterprisedb.com