Re: [sqlsmith] Parallel worker executor crash on master - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas Munro
Subject Re: [sqlsmith] Parallel worker executor crash on master
Date
List pgsql-hackers

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAEepm%3D0Mv9BigJPpribGQhnHqVGYo2%2BkmzekGUVJJc9Y_ZVaYA%40mail.gmail.com

> while my posted recipe is indeed inconspicuous with the patch applied,
> It seems to have made matters worse from the sqlsmith perspective:
> Instead of one core dump per hour I get one per minute.  Sample
> backtrace below.  I could not find a recipe yet to reproduce these
> (beyond starting sqlsmith).
>
> regards,
> Andreas
>
> Core was generated by `postgres: smith regression [local] SELECT                        '.
> Program terminated with signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
> #0  gather_getnext (gatherstate=0x555a5fff1350) at nodeGather.c:283
> 283                             estate->es_query_dsa = gatherstate->pei->area;
> #1  ExecGather (pstate=0x555a5fff1350) at nodeGather.c:216

Hmm, thanks.  That's not good.  Do we know if gatherstate->pei is
NULL, or if it's somehow pointing to garbage?   Not sure how either of
those things could happen, since we only set it to NULL in
ExecShutdownGather() after which point we shouldn't call ExecGather()
again, and any MemoryContext problems with pei should have caused
problems already without this patch (for example in
ExecParallelCleanup).  Clearly I'm missing something.

--
Thomas Munro
http://www.enterprisedb.com