Re: Extending Session / Logged User info - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Durumdara
Subject Re: Extending Session / Logged User info
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi!

2012/1/31 Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume@lelarge.info>
On Tue, 2012-01-31 at 04:16 -0800, durumdara wrote:
> Dear PGSQL Masters!
>
> I have a complicated question.
>
> Is there any way to extend the session information (what visible in
> pgadmin's "Server Status")?
>
> I explain what I want to do:
>
> We used alternative DB in a place and I need to port this.
> In this DB we using different db users for every real users.
> When the program logging to the server it input for username/pwd, and
> log with it.
> So if John XY logged in, the session is shown as "John XY", which is a
> real user, and db user too.
>
> This meaning that if we have 80 users, we need to create 80 db users.
>
> It is very useful when you want to see who use the db, but very tiring
> when you want to create or manage them (plus role, etc).

Creating 80 users is not a really big burden. Managing privileges for 80
users will be. So you need to create some roles, on which you'll
grant/revoke privileges, and you'll make each user member of one or more
of the roles.

This is also make problems when I don't want to install a new PGSQL server, but they want to see the old, closed archives.
Now one solution is if I make prefixes on usernames:
main_[name]
archive1_[name]
and the program automatically set these prefixes.

But it would be easier if I can use one DB user can represent all users, and I can make differents on them with extending session info (additional "fields").

main_user
archive1_user
archive2_user

Thanks: